Wednesday, 9 November 2011

Social networking isn't social at all!

I am sitting in a coffee house, well lets start this blog off being truthful, Starbucks, and I am surrounded by technology. Technology comes in many forms, people on cellphones, people on their laptops, people reading their kindles, people doing anything but connecting with other people. My mom's best friend is visiting from Canada for the week and we had a nice little chat this morning before i went to work about technology and what it is doing to our society as a whole. How many times today alone have you checked your facebook? And what were you hoping to get out of those twenty plus visits to a site dedicated to you. Are we really that important? I think we would like to think so, and the better question is why are we checking a website to see what our friends have to say to us when we could just pick up the phone and chat with them, or better yet when possible sit in a cafe with them and converse face to face. When did electronic social networking become the favorable way to connect with our peers? How easy is it to hide behind a computer or even a text. Do not get me wrong I love technology and I know it has a place in our lives, but when did it become more important to bring your cellphone with you on that jog then to just go for the jog? Seriously, I saw this with my own two eyes yesterday on the Greenway, a lady jogging and chatting on her phone. Well at least she wasn't checking her facebook page!

Basically this post is to make you think, think about where your life is headed, where our society is headed and if you want to join it? I put this challenge to anyone who is reading this post; one week facebook free. Can you do it?

No comments:

Post a Comment